Tuesday, January 1, 2013
It's a new year! Twenty-twelve definitely held some good stuff and some hard stuff....as all years do. I'm super excited for what 2013 will hold. Yesterday God showed me the Scripture above, Isaiah 34:18-19, reminding me that He has new things in store, and He alone can make a way where there seems to be no way! So bring on 2013...bring on the new!!
Okay, so I wanted to share some of my goals -- "resolutions" if you will -- for this year. The CCCA conference I went to at the beginning of December was kind of a "re-starting point" for me. One of my biggest take-aways from the conference was BE INTENTIONAL. Figure out what your priorities are, what's important to you, where you want to be by the end of the year, and MAKE IT HAPPEN. As I remain a single woman for now, I want to be intentional about my personal growth as a godly woman, as a future wife and mom, and as a leader.
One of the speakers I heard at the conference, Dr. Tim Elmore, challenged us to choose several areas that we want to improve/grow in this year, then set some intentional and practical goals to help us grow in those areas. Dr. Elmore suggests recruiting people to mentor you in each area you choose to work on -- for example, if one wanted to improve in time management, he'd ask a friend who is really good at time management to give him advice and hold him accountable throughout the year.
So, here are the five areas I've chosen, with some thought and prayer, to focus on this year:
1. Financial responsibility/fundraising
5. Prep for being a godly wife
And here are my practical goals/things I've already started doing to grow in these areas:
1. Daily workouts! So far I'm enjoying the workouts and feeling the accomplishment, and that's keeping me driven! :-)
2. I've chosen a few books to read in 2013 that correspond to my focus areas: The Missional Mom by Helen Lee (wives/moms in ministry), In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (courage/boldness), and The Ascent of a Leader by Bill Thrall (general leadership). Confession: I am NOT very good at sticking with reading and actually finishing a book!! So three in one year will be a big deal for me! haha.
3. I'm studying women of the Bible in my quiet times -- just kind of my own personal study on godly womanhood.
4. Making a priority to pray more specifically and faithfully for family and friends' specific needs.
As you can see, I haven't dived into all the areas yet, but workin' on it!
So far, I haven't really run with the mentor idea. That's probably something I should improve on -- having people in my life that I intentionally glean wisdom from and who hold me accountable. Hmm, something to think about! :-)
There you have it! The basic rundown of my 2013 goals, that really started early in December. So far I've stayed pretty motivated and committed, but I know that could definitely wear off in the coming weeks and months, and then I'll need to evaluate and figure out how to stay the course!
What are your goals? What five (or six or four or two) areas would you focus on improving this year?
Here's to a 2013 of INTENTIONAL growth and ministry! Happy New Year!